Tuesday, August 13, 2013

EDLD 5301 - Week 5 Blog Submission: "What I learned"



I learned many things in this course:
  • Dr. Abshire respects honesty and candor.
    • On a side-note, she gets things DONE in a timely and succinct fashion!
  • The resource section is the Holy Grail.
  • Section ANE doesn’t like to respond to posts on the discussion boards.
  • Action Research can be invigorating and intriguing.
  • Many of my classmates like to post on their blogs Sunday afternoon and frantically ask for comments.
  • Daniel’s Blogger Buddies are the BEST!
  • The Harris, et al, textbook is a marvelous resource.
  • Vertical alignment is an issue in the program, but that it's a lot better than it used to be (thanks Dr. Perez, my LFS).
  • Dr. Ashford is a great I.A.
  • Getting straight answers can be tough to do.
Here are some highlights of the course in a few areas:
Lectures
Drs. Arterbury and Jenkins are like the Laurel and Hardy of Educational Leadership.  They are masters in their field, but they never fail to bring the laughs to the party. I can tell that each of these gentlemen love what they do, and are very invested in the Lamar Educational Administration program. “That’s a great question, Dr. Jenkins”, and “Thank you for asking me about…”, are two of my favorite quotes from the good Drs.

Readings
As I stated above I am grateful to Dr. Abshire for selecting Examining What We Do To Improve Our Schools: 8 Steps From Analysis to Action, by Harris, Edmonson, & Combs. This text was more of a “how to” type of manual with many great research instruments included. The Dana text, Leading With Passion And Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher, was also a great resource. She laid out a great map for future administrators to follow. I especially liked the last chapter which focused on where we will be as a “Head Learner”…always looking down the road!

Searches, like electronic searches of topics and questions
No real highlights here. I have been using the internet since the early 1990’s. I was the host of an online chatroom moderator (something some of the younger folks in this class most likely have never heard of) in 1993-1995, in the area of Contemporary Christian Music Composition for AOL & Prodigy. What I’m saying is that I feel rather comfortable in my skin as far as these types of things are concerned.

Assignments and activities
The assignments in this class were good. The creation of the ARP is the main crux of the class and I really appreciate it. The week 4 assignment was good for me as well. I didn’t mind posting to TK20, but I am still a bit unsure of what should be on TK20 and when. It seems that we’ve been asked to answer the same thing about three weeks of this course: “What did you learn?” etc. At some point we’ve put what we learned, how we’ll revise, and what is best. At some point you just have to let it go. The activities, I’m referencing the online chats here, are fine, but they drag a bit for my taste. The same questions get asked about 100 times, and it drives my ADD mind crazy.

Discussion Board
The discussion board is sweet and sour to me. I am up to discussing most any topic at any time. As my late father-in-law used to say, “I don’t have an answer for you, but I have an opinion!” It is in this spirit that I always jump into the discussion boards. The topics of the discussion boards are usually awesome, and they make me think. My concern here is that my section (I’m in section ANE) doesn’t reply to my posts. In week four I replied to five or six blogs, and I had one reply on mine. It’s a bit frustrating to say the least.

Blogs
Here we go, now! I love to blog; it’s like an open invitation to put my thoughts in the ethos. I am a performer; it’s what I was created by God to do. From the age of 18, I’ve been a professional musician. I recorded with Warner Brothers as a studio musician at the age of 20. I have given talks, sermons, seminars, and trainings to tens of thousands of people in three continents. Needless to say, I’m ready to offer my opinion, with as many words as I can, at any time. The use of a blog offers the perfect opportunity to ply my trade. Being able to read my classmate’s blogs has been eye-opening for me. I love reading the blogs and seeing what others are doing, how they are doing it, and what the leading edge of education is thinking. The use of the blogs is an invaluable tool in EDLD 5301!



10 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog posts. You have a lot of great comments and reflections to the last five weeks. I agree with so many things that you stated above. I have enjoyed this class with the exception of the LFS technology drama. I am not a procrastinator so I am no help the the last minute posters on Sunday. I think the Blog Buddies are the best too! Great work in this class Daniel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Daniel...you are great!! I love your witty comments!! I am one of the "doesn't like to post to discussion boards." These last 2 weeks I got my butt kicked and had zero time. Then I would get a few minutes and spent the time looking for the blogs. I also like the "Many of my classmates like to post on their blogs Sunday afternoon and frantically ask for comments." That is so true!! Kind of funny if you ask me!!

    In some ways I don't like to read your stuff because you are a rock star and make my work look like a 3rd graders homework. You are very detailed, very funny, and do awesome work!!
    I also really appreciate how you are very consistent on commenting on our stuff and you don't just toss fluff like most of us do on occasion, you give real, valuable insight to our stuff. Thanks again for taking that time!!!

    I look forward to continuing watching your progress!!
    Casey Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel, You did a fabulous job on this final post. I did not go into as much detail as you did on the post though my reflection is longer and more detailed. I can see why others are intimidated to post on your blog. But it was fun reading and I definitely agree with the statements on the Dr. Jenkins and Dr. Arterbury's thank you and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, I love your comments, they are quite witty! I have thoroughly enjoyed working with you in this class and hope this communication can continue next class. I completely agree with everything you said especially the vertical alignment (although, I would not say it has gotten better).I am sorry if I never commented on your discussion boards, but I think I did this week and ALWAYS comment on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren,

      The vertical alignment thing is a mess to be sure. What I meant was that my LFS said that it is better than it used to be when the program first started. No worries about the discussion boards, I know that it's tough to get life done with all of this on top of it. You do always comment on my blog...THANKS!

      Delete
  5. I can definitely agree with your posting on blogs. This has been a great tool to get feedback and learn from others. Also, good luck this football season. I grew up from around there and played Friona a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daniel,

    I have to say I really respect how you use your blog. I love the honesty and humor. I hope I can keep up my blog as you do when the perfect storm starts in a week. Best of luck to you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your blog! Thank you so much for your use of humor to help us all get through this class! I have to say that I chuckled out loud during the videos as well - "Thanks for asking me that, dr..." Unfortunately, I didn't become one our your "blogger buddies", but I still like looking! I'm looking forward to working with you during this program journey. Have a great start of school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel,

    Wish I had read your post earlier this week. It is quite obvious that you are an entertainer and I truly enjoyed the entertainment. Those who commented previously on your blog did such a great job that I really don't have much to add. All throughout reading the comments I thought, "Ah man, I was going to say that." I will be sure to check out your blog more often because you have such a talent with words. Thanks for the SMILES! Now I better get busy on my blog, I do wish I was as excited about blogging as you are, however, you have inspired me to give it more of a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your post. So true, and I am glad I am not alone in the Laurel and Hardy thought. Their videos make me giggle. You are very articulate in your response and honestly I agree 100%. I generally do the discussion board and blog posts by mid week, and am sorry I am just now getting around to this weeks, but I have been sitting my rear end on the beach in Florida this past week and honestly didn't want to think about this class. I got home last night and knew that today would be my blog day after I unpacked and went to church. I agree, some people don't respond to jack. I respond to 4-8 people and can barely get a look. Ah well, I take what I can. Have a great week off!!

    ReplyDelete