Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My reply to Rucker's reply...

Progress Monitors-
If I understand your intent correctly these quizzes are designed to help us, as candidates, to be better prepared for the TExES Principal Certification test. That is great and I thank you for it. However, I am not happy that 1/3 of the grade in a class built around Human Resource Management is based on the results of a quiz built on questions from the TExES exam. Why can't the monitors be diagnostic? They are designed to help us take the test, not test our knowledge of this course's material and content. Also, why are the tests only given on Fridays, with a password, with each question requiring a selection with no chance to change and/or review? The purpose of online classes, at least for myself and many I have talked with, is the availability of flexibility.
Diagnostic exams (in the field of education) are a determinate, in regards to produce evidence that teachers need to make defensible instructional decisions.  Students’ performances on these exams let teachers know what cognitive skills or bodies of knowledge students are having trouble.  With this in mind, it is apparent after five years of program application, and state mandated examinations that there are several areas of weakness.  Thus, the alteration of the present class and a strengthening of the process.  The weakness of diagnostic testing does not tell teachers (professors) how to carry out instruction to rectify deficits in achievement and/or learning.  A legitimate diagnostic exam will (1) not be too complicated or time-consuming (thus five questions), (2) include items to assess attributes to give the professor a reasonably accurate fix on the students mastery of the attribute  (five exam questions per week over a five week term), (3) and describe with clarity what the exam is assessing.  I will be forwarding first exam results to all students later this week, after the disaggregation is complete.  BUT, present simple data clearly implies that 30% of  the students are not aware of application of information to the Domains and Competencies. I understand all that you have replied, yet my concern is still the same: We are being graded (1/3 of overall class grade) on something that is not part of the class material. If this was a class in direct preparation for the TExES exam I would understand, but that isn't the case. The readings, video lectures, discussions, etc, in 5345 do not lead directly to answering questions on the Principal's Exam. I saw the quick disaggregation that you sent out, and I was one of those with a 30 out of 50. I chose to seek help at the Regional Service Center as I assumed that it would be understood I had been previously looking at data as a principal. It just seems that our grades are going to suffer for something that doesn't reflect the intent of the class. I understand what you said about GPA and test result success not being the same, but I am concerned with my GPA as it will follow me forever on my transcripts, and prospective employers will look into them. I have only lost 10 total points in the entire program prior to this class, and that is something I work hard at. It is a big deal to me and it bothers me that that is just being thrown away as a concern. If I already held a doctorate in the field I probably would be less concerned about this issue as well, but that is why I'm taking the classes.

In regards to testing time and process.  In the past,  the exams were given over a three day window.  No to little security and thus the passing rates matched the overall GPA’s when the data was reviewed.  While on the open and public view it looks great!  BUT when our students must meet the challenge of the information in a state certificated exam it is not. So we are being punished for the past sins of others. As a pastor I understand the concept of generational sin, but this is a bit of a polar extreme. Maybe at least a chance to review my answers prior to submission of the monitor rather than having to choose, submit, and never again see the question. In the TExES test you can go back and review answers, etc. So, these monitors are even more restrictive than the actual test.

There has been no program alteration.  Only the exam method was changed.  This has caused a concern for approximately 30% of the 800 plus students.  At present, the data shows a total of 413 student making B or better on the first five questions. Or maybe only 30% have replied to you. There are a number of students that are afraid to say anything and sit back to see what happens when a few reach out. Of the 100 in my study group that I've had from the first class I have not heard one person be happy with the new "way". 

After countless number of student evaluations and comments, in regards to the field supervisors, the faculty –in hopes of meeting the TEA/SBOE and student specific requirements-has changed this process.  A complete alteration of this  process is in play and will continue until we feel satisfied that it meets the present need requirements.  Additional information will be arriving via the Educational Leadership Department in the very near future. Why after the fact? Why didn't we as students know up front? It's like going to McDonald's, ordering a Big Mac, and then after I open the box I find that there is a chicken breast in there rather than hamburger patties. When I go to ask the manager what happened he says, "We have found that there are less calories and cholesterol in baked chicken so we made a change. Some new dietary information will be printed soon." 
It is with paramount sincerity that we seek to alleviate perceived program weakness. I truly appreciate this! The Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership with Certificate is incredibly important to Lamar and ultimately to our students. Yes, as is my GPA, it speaks to my work ethic, desire to complete a job faithfully, and my overall skill sets.Present data clearly implies weaknesses in the 18 class program that are culminating in a weakness in state mandated certification scores. Okay, but those 5 question monitors can be done and not affect our grade in a class about Human Resources and we will learn the same exact lessons. That we will eliminate. Of this I have no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment