Wednesday, July 17, 2013

EDLD 5301 - Research, Week 1 Assignment, Part 3 (2nd question) - "How Educational Leaders Might Use Blogs"

As a child I wanted to know more. Regardless of the question posed, I wanted to find as much information as possible on the subject. While working towards a bachelor's degree in music performance with a vocal emphasis my voice teacher made me do intense research for each song I sang. Prior to learning a song I had to fill out a historical research paper focused on composer, subject, form, and analysis. I also had to translate the song poetically and literally, word-for-word, from it's native language to English, so that I could better understand the composer and lyricists intent in writing the song. The only problem with this practice was that it was pre-internet. It took me GREAT amounts of time to conduct the research necessary to merely find sources of information needed to complete my study. It was my dream to have a one-stop clearinghouse of information that was readily available to me, anytime and anywhere, to help me complete my tasks. However, we live in the golden age of research as that is what we have in the great and mighty internet: Information! The internet offers educational leaders with a worldwide platform where they can share ideas, disseminate information and resources, and communicate with constituents freely.

"Journals provide administrators with a tool for reflecting on their own thought processes." (Dana, 2009, p. 87). Many people do not consider themselves writers. The use of a blog is a great way to work on this perceived problem as "thinking out loud" through the written word can lead to greater comfort and ease in the medium. Blogging a journal, which can include written thoughts, videos, pictures, links to helpful sites, and charts and graphs, helps educational leaders stay in touch with a greater number of people. By utilizing comments, the leader can further review and gather up-to-date thought data. By influencing my sphere of influence I can re-create myself, hopefully in a greater sense, in those I influence. If each of those persons reaches out to there circles of touch, then a greater influence is made. The internet provides a literal world wide web of influence capability to educational leaders!

5 comments:

  1. Daniel, I enjoyed reading this post & I agree with you! I do not consider myself a writer, but I do allow myself to "think out loud!" I now will also use my blog to share my thoughts and read others thoughts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts! I have always wanted to have a blog, but did not really know where to start or thought to myself "Does someone really want to read about my random thoughts or do I have enough knowledge to write about ABC topic?" This is going to be a fun process of adding to our blogs and commenting on our classmates blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this is going to be a great process. Collaboration is a love of mine, and this is right where we are...I hope it all keeps growing positively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! I remember research before the internet and it took so much time! We have so many wonderful tools at our fingertips now, and using them to our advantage is wonderful! As educators, we can find so many great resources that I know my mother (a veteran educator) never had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also very excited about having a blog. I have never even looked a blog before now. It is going to be so nice to be able to share thoughts and concerns with a group of peers with whom I have something in common. I am considering trying to start a math teachers' blog on my campus when school starts again. With the changes in the TEKS headed our way, I would love to know how a 6th grade teacher on the back hall taught something that becomes a 4th grade concept for those of us on the front hall. I hope to get some of it accomplished this year before all the changes. I see blogs being an awesome type of reference material for us to use!

    ReplyDelete